Looking for more information or wondering how to get started? Here are some links to guide you toward resources relating to merchant mariner licensing, education opportunities, and more:
- U.S. Coast Guard National Maritime Center - Merchant Mariner credentialing, endorsement, licensing, and testing
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential - any mariner who holds a USCG-issued MMC must also hold a TSA-issued TWIC
Education and Training
- Traditional Maritime Academies: California Maritime; Kings Point; Maine Maritime; SUNY Maritime; Texas A&M; Massachusetts Maritime; Great Lakes Maritime
- Pacific Maritime Institute - a full-service maritime training center in Seattle, Washington; the West Coast subsidiary of MITAGS.
- The Workboat Academy - a 2-year program offered by the Maritime Institute of Technology & Graduate Studies/Pacific Maritime Institute at 3 campuses: MITAGS (Linthicum Heights, Maryland), PMI (Seattle, Washington), and HMTS (New Orleans, Louisiana). MITAGS/PMI also offers a multitude of USCG-approved courses to fulfill merchant mariner certification and licensing requirements.
- Crawford Nautical - a well-established USCG-approved merchant mariner training facility in Seattle, WA offering a wide array of navigation courses.
- Compass Courses - a woman-owned maritime school in Edmonds, WA, providing Lifeboatman certification, Basic Safety Training, Firefighting, a wide range of navigation courses and more. They also offer scholarships.
- Seattle Maritime Academy - the maritime branch of Seattle Central College, located at the north end of the Ballard bridge in Seattle, Washington.
- Fremont Maritime Services - a Seattle-based training facility located in the bustling Fishermen's Terminal, offering STCW Basic Safety Training, Shipboard Firefighting, HAZWOPER and more.
- Northwest Maritime Center - a beautiful facility in Port Townsend, WA, offering boatbuilding courses, events, and navigation courses on location through affiliation with Crawford Nautical and the U.S. Maritime Academy.
- Tongue Point Job Corps - Tongue Point Job Corps in Astoria, Oregon offers vocational training programs to help mariners obtain Able-Bodied Seaman (AB) and Qualified Member of the Engine Department (QMED) endorsements.
- Grays Harbor Historical Seaport - An affordable sailing program to get new mariners started on the water, sailing up and down the West Coast on the tall ships Hawaiian Chieftain or Lady Washington.
- Maritime Institute and Training Resources Ltd. - two schools located in San Diego, California, offering US Coast Guard-approved maritime training courses.
- AVTEC - Alaska's Institute of Technology, located in Seward, Alaska, offers maritime training programs as well as other technical vocational courses.
- MITAGS - Maritime Institute of Technology and Graduate Studies, a full-service maritime training center in Linthicum Heights, Maryland.
- AMO Star Center - located in Dania Beach, Florida, the Star Center offers a full range of maritime training courses; American Maritime Officers union members receive priority in course registration.
- Piney Point - the Paul Hall Center for Maritime Training and Education is a Seafarers International Union-affiliated and operated USCG-approved merchant mariner training center in Piney Point, Maryland.
- Mid-Atlantic Maritime Academy - a vocational maritime training center in Norfolk, Virginia.
- Maritime Professional Training and Resolve Academy - maritime training centers in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, offering basic safety, shipboard firefighting, navigation resources and more. Also close to the beautiful Fort Lauderdale beaches for vacation time after studies are over.
- Houston Marine Training Services - a maritime training facility in Houma, Louisiana, now operated by Falck Safety Services.
- San Jacinto College - just outside of Houston, Texas, the San Jacinto College Maritime Program offers a 2-year associate's degree in Maritime Transportation and continuing education for mariner licensing.
- gCaptain.com - job listings, as well as the latest maritime news, blogs, and helpful forums can be found here
- This article offers some helpful links to maritime job listings online
Resources for Women
- WISTA - Women's International Shipping & Trading Association
- WomenOffshore.org - an online resource center supporting a diverse workforce on the water
- Annual Women in Maritime Leadership Conference at California Maritime Academy
- Women in Maritime Panel Discussion - Presented by San Francisco Maritime National Parks Assoc. Tickets available here
- Maritime Women: Global Leadership Conference - World Maritime University, Malmo, Sweden
- Maritime Pioneers Proved a Woman's Place is at the Helm - SF Chronicle
- Tug Captain/Photographer Pulled By Art - sfGate.com
- Women & The Sea - The Mariners' Museum
- Women in Maritime History - San Francisco Maritime National Park
- Why We Need More Women in Maritime Industries
- ITF Women Seafarers: Inside the Issue