Looking for more information or wondering how to get started? Here are some links to guide you toward resources relating to merchant mariner licensing, education opportunities, and more:
- U.S. Coast Guard National Maritime Center - Merchant Mariner credentialing, endorsement, licensing, and testing
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential - any mariner who holds a USCG-issued MMC must also hold a TSA-issued TWIC
Education and Training
- The Workboat Academy - a 2-year program offered by the Maritime Institute of Technology & Graduate Studies/Pacific Maritime Institute at 3 campuses: MITAGS (Linthicum Heights, Maryland), PMI (Seattle, Washington), and HMTS (New Orleans, Louisiana). MITAGS/PMI also offers a multitude of USCG-approved courses to fulfill merchant mariner certification and licensing requirements.
- Crawford Nautical - a well-established USCG-approved merchant mariner training facility in Seattle, WA offering a wide array of navigation courses.
- Compass Courses - a woman-owned maritime school in Edmonds, WA, providing Lifeboatman certification, Basic Safety Training, Firefighting, a wide range of navigation courses and more. They also offer scholarships.
- Fremont Maritime Services - a Seattle-based training facility located in the bustling Fishermen's Terminal, offering STCW Basic Safety Training, Shipboard Firefighting, HAZWOPER and more.
- Northwest Maritime Center - a beautiful facility in Port Townsend, WA, offering boatbuilding courses, events, and navigation courses on location through affiliation with Crawford Nautical and the U.S. Maritime Academy.
- Traditional Maritime Academies: Cal Maritime; Kings Point; Maine Maritime; SUNY Maritime; Texas A&M; Massachusetts Maritime; Great Lakes Maritime
- Tongue Point Job Corps - Tongue Point Job Corps in Astoria, Oregon offers vocational training programs to help mariners obtain Able-Bodied Seaman (AB) and Qualified Member of the Engine Department (QMED) endorsements.
- Piney Point - the Paul Hall Center for Maritime Training and Education is a Seafarers International Union-affiliated and operated USCG-approved merchant mariner training center in Piney Point, Maryland.
- Grays Harbor Historical Seaport - An affordable sailing program to get new mariners started on the water, sailing up and down the West Coast on the beautiful tall ships Hawaiian Chieftain or Lady Washington.
- Maritime Institute and Training Resources Ltd. - two schools located in San Diego, California, offering US Coast Guard-approved maritime training courses.
- San Jacinto College - just outside of Houston, Texas, the San Jacinto College Maritime Program offers a 2-year associate's degree in Maritime Transportation and continuing education for mariner licensing.
- gCaptain.com - job listings, as well as the latest maritime news, blogs, and helpful forums can be found here
- This article offers some helpful links to maritime job listings online
Resources for Women
- Annual Women in Maritime Leadership Conference at California Maritime Academy
- Women in Maritime Panel Discussion - Presented by San Francisco Maritime National Parks Assoc. Tickets available here
- WISTA - Women's International Shipping & Trading Association
- Maritime Women: Global Leadership Conference - World Maritime University, Malmo, Sweden
- Maritime Pioneers Proved a Woman's Place is at the Helm - SF Chronicle
- Tug Captain/Photographer Pulled By Art - sfGate.com
- Women & The Sea - The Mariners' Museum
- Women in Maritime History - San Francisco Maritime National Park
- Why We Need More Women in Maritime Industries
- ITF Women Seafarers: Inside the Issue